March 25, 2011

Sewing scissors are just that........

    Years ago as I was sewing some pillows for my friends girls, I learned never to use a steak knife as a seam ripper. Why? Because that is not what knives are designed for and I now have a scar on my hand from my learning experience.
    I had sewn too far and had to seam rip a small area. I did not have a seam ripper so I chose to improvise with a steak knife. Poor decision on my part. When the thread finally gave up the fight, the knife went straight into my hand, and in fact touched the bone. So much for my white fur pillow. I survived the whole ordeal with new knowledge. Only use things for what they were designed for. Now fast forward a few years.
    Nick is attempting to open a zip lock bag of frozen beef. It was pretty frozen so he decides to dig out a kitchen utensil for help. Does he get the scissors? No, he digs out a bread knife. You know the one, it looks like a giant saw disguised as a kitchen knife. Well, it didn't work out real well for Nick. He chopped a good deep cut into his finger and damaged so many nerves he can barely use it at times. So lesson learned, you would think. A couple weeks ago I went to use my nice sewing scissors. I could not find them anywhere! Finally I ask Nick if he has seen them. "Well, yes, I was using them to cut some wire and the handle broke. I'm so sorry." I was not very happy, however, I really tried to be as understanding as possible. "OK," I said. "Put it on our shopping list." "They almost pinched my hand in them! Just so you know. I am OK though." I really had to try and not say anything sarcastic at that one.
    So, if you have not had your own incident with using things inappropriately, let this be enough for you. Learn from our mistakes, because if you don't you may end up with a nasty cut and scar! Also, remember sewing scissors are just that, sewing scissors!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home