October 23, 2011

Conferences make me nervous.

   Conferences are not my favorite thing to do.  I always love to hear how well my kids are doing but I do not like to hear any bad news.

   I wasn't nervous for Titus' conference as I knew he would be doing well.  He is in the kindergarten grade but in a first grade class.   He was put in the first grade class after his evaluation proved he was above average in his schooling.  (I knew the pre school would pay off!)  As I expected, Titus was doing very well and was in fact doing first grade work!  We did learn that Titus needs to work on his dexterity.  He uses both hands to write and color and cut, so he hasn't mastered either.  He will actually switch hands in the middle of writing a word.  It is pretty funny to see.  Currently we are working on learning short words, which Titus is very good at!  It is really fun to see the look of excitement as he learns a new word and spelling!

   Arthur's conferences have always been dreadful.  Not because he is a bad kid or not smart, just because this is when we find out about everything he is missing and how he is not finishing his class work.  This is the first year Nick and I have sole custody of Arthur so we have made sure all homework is finished and turned in.  Arthur has been arguing with his teacher in class and has been getting in a bit of trouble lately, so I was not looking forward to this conference either.  Arthur's teacher was very sweet and told us how Arthur's school work was not being finished although she knew he could do it.  She showed us his test scores and they showed Arthur at a 6th grade level in most subjects!  He is above average!  He is just having a hard time concentrating on his class work enough to finish it.  She had great reviews for Arthur and said he is a really smart kid, he just needs to focus.  This was the best conference we have EVER had for Arthur!!  We are working on the concentration at home as well and I am sure the next conference will be even better!  The 5th grade year will be the best yet!

   We have not had a conference for Taylor yet as it is pretty early in the year, and the city schools are waiting a bit.  I will keep you posted on the outcome!  I am not worried about his conference, he always gets a rave review!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home